Tuesday, November 24, 2009

superheroes puppet show!

it's finally here! enjoy...



now for some more classroom funnies:

one of my students is sitting there for awhile, then all of a sudden goes, "Oh, teacher! It's too easy!" I go over to look at his paper and all that's there is the name of his superhero: "Invisible Man."

one of my girls is telling me about her superhero, "Studyman:" "He is very handsome... he helps me with my homework... no one else can see him..."
me: so basically... you created an imaginary boyfriend?
girl: "yes."

one of my boys created "Gasman," who is elevated because he is farting: "By Newton's second law, he moves very fast."

in my interview class, we were talking about current issues. the students are trying to explain why it's so difficult to combat environmental issues: "If the government enforces environmental regulations, the companies will go..." they couldn't think of the word. i'm thinking to myself, there really only is one word - bankrupt - that could fit here. so they start looking in their dictionaries and the word they come up with "dishonor." "If the government enforces environmental regulations, the companies will go dishonor!" i respond, Dishonor?! the kids realize what they just said and start cracking up. eventually somebody says "bankrupt" and the rest all go, "OHHHH!!!"

same class, "The influenza vaccine has side effects. 60 people got sick. 1 person died."
me: is this the same vaccine that you took? (they had gotten vaccinated at school like 2 weeks ago; i remember, cause i tried to get one too, but was told that these were only for teenagers. apparently i might have been better for me to not have gotten it...)
"Yes."
me: ... good luck...

from my debates lesson:
Korean vs. American: Argue for why a korean/an american person would be better to marry.
korean side: "For koreans to marry americans will have many problems. with a korean person, we have the same diet. koreans like eating garlic, but americans hate garlic smell. so they will fighting."
american side: "Americans have blue and big eyes, blonde hair, s-line body, pretty muscle sometimes, white skin, and big house," "americans have a lot of money... oh just give me a little bit of money!" "if we marry an american, we can live in other places, for example, america."

there's always at least two ways to interpret everything:
many koreans think that american society is unsafe because all americans have guns so we're constantly killing each other. but, one student rebutted this point: "Americans have guns so they can protect themselves, so American society is safe." i'm not sure that's true, but interesting...

and lastly, and probably the best teaching moment so far, my interview class comes in and demands, "Teacher, we want to free talk." amused, but game, i ask, what would you like to talk about. "The flu!" "Debate, debate!" you want to have a debate on the swine flu? what about it? "How serious is it..." thinking to myself, hmm, this isn't half bad. okay, why don't you take 15 minutes to prepare. "We only need 5. we are science high school students." ... seriously. who is the teacher here?!

after the debate, i ask my kids, What should you do to stay healthy? So that you don't catch the flu? there answers: wash your hands. don't go outside. sleep. exercise. and of course, eat kimchi!

No comments: