Monday, August 18, 2008

goodbye csm

As i sit here, with my bags all packed, the night before i leave, there's a lot of thoughts that are running through my head. There are actually other posts i have begun but have yet to finish, but i feel like this is most timely. It's been a good summer. CSM gave me the opportunity to come to a new city and to learn about it and to serve in it in a way i wouldn't have been able to under any other circumstance. For that i am extremely grateful. I was also presented with the opportunity with working with high schoolers and with the potential to teach them and to have an impact on their lives. And definitely when i think about some of my most memorable moments a lot of those interactions i had with some kids stand out. But in spite of all this, the thing i will probably miss the most, and the thing i will think of first when i talk about csm ny, is the other hosts.

It's been a long summer. A summer filled with excitement, both good and horrendous at times. And through it all i got to have 7 hosts, all strange and wonderful in their own right, by my side to experience this all with. So this is my goodbye to you hosts. You all have had an impact on my life and it was a pleasure serving with ya'll. Though there may have been times when i wanted to strangle you, and i'm sure i drove some of ya'll crazy as well, it was truly amazing to see how 8 strangers, picked to live in a house, could come together and have some life-changing experiences. I am truly going to miss you all.

Now then, are you all ready to meet your CSM hosts?!
At point guard, from Central Pennsylvania, standing 6 foot 2 and 9/16ths, LUKE JOHNSON:
The first time i met you you were reading. And you pretty much kept reading all summer. I've told you this a couple times already but the thing i admire the most about you is your devotion to learning. You were also probably the only host that tried to do ministry outside of csm and that was amazing to see. Your heart is in the right place and i know you're going to do great things in the inner-city. My favorite Luke-moment happened that one night after yogurt land, when we were making fun of how you tend to drift off into your own world during conversations and then you have no idea what's going on. Right after we made fun of you for that, you kinda just stared at us and was like, "Wait, what'd you say?" It was ridiculous.

SF, from Upstate New York, not to be confused with Mr. Belding from Saved by the Bell (i don't even remember why i say this), KRISTEN ERBELDING:
As the only NY returner, we definitely relied on you for a lot. And you were always patient. The one thing that stands out to me about you is your willingness to talk. The greatest example of this was that one day after church when we were in the kitchen talking about spiritual warfare. One thing that i admire about you is that i can tell that you think before you speak. You don't just speak off the top of your head and what you have to share is always thought-out. Or at least it seems that way. Anyway, i have a lot of respect for what you have to say.

PF, from Fort Worth, Texas, 'Go big or go home!' LAUREN SHEPPARD:
I remember you said this about me once too, but when i first met you i thought there would be no way we could have much in common. You were from Texas and went to school in Oklahoma. Surprise surprise. Your love for yogurt makes me laugh. And the fact that you've never seen Star Wars is mind boggling to me. I still remember when we were painting at operation exodus, and i gave you that book on Darth Vader -- you were so fascinated by it. It was hilarious. The thing i admire the most about you is your love for your kids. This isn't a knock on the rest of us hosts, but i feel like you consistently put forth the most effort in trying to get to know your kids. Even when it's difficult. And i'm thinking about one in particular (the "we're gonna die" one). Also, your ability to remember names is astonishing.

Our 3rd string bench-warmer (by the way, it's pretty impressive that you made 3rd string when we only have 8 players), whose parents sponsor this team, from George Mason, TIFFANY CATRON:
I didn't really know what to think when i first met you. This girl from George Mason, with the purple rain boots. The one story that stands out to me is from the week with my favorite group when you were trying so hard to tell those girls about Jesus. You went from feeling like you had no idea what you were doing to being able to genuinely share your story and really showing Jesus' love to those kids. It seems like every worship night you always have your group in tears. Unfortunately i was unable to figure out how you did that, but it seems like you were doing a great job. And i love how you get coffee everywhere you go, even at serendipity.

Blazing a trail from somewhere in the pacific northwest, ERIC KNAPE:
Eric! Do you hear what i hear? Haha. Maybe this is just because this story is from yesterday, but my fav story about you is when the girls were asking me where you were and i told them to just keep screaming your name and that you would find them. Haha. I was dying... Anyway, I am currently writing this on your laptop, sitting across from you, as you sleep. The thing i admire the most about you is how you never let your frustrations take over. I know there were times when you were stressed or were just in bad situations, but you never let that dictate your life. It was also a pleasure leading all them worship nights with you. This last week when i had to choose the songs on my own it felt so weird and i kept wanting to call you. which i eventually did. But yes, it's been good.

From Guyana (honestly,
I didn't even know where Guyana was until i met you -- i had to look it up on wikipedia)! Our water girl, MAYONNE THOMAS:
You are so weird. Half the time i don't know what to think about you. All the times you threatened to tell Susan on me with stories that you had made up. You crazy. It was pretty funny when you met Susan though. When i saw you guys across the street i was like, 'should i wait for them or should i just run and hide?' I waited. And you guys acted very mature in front of Susan. The thing that i admire about you the most is your high expectations for yourself. Though i will say this is also something you need to work on as well, for If you find you're not living up to your standards you tend to get down on yourself. Just do the best with what you can and God will do great things with it. After all that bickering all summer i guess you really are that sister i never knew i wanted. or the sister from the same fad-der. Seriously though, how would you say 'birthday?' I cannot for the life of me figure that one out.

Our Center, the biggest player in ALL of Michigan, KATIE BENNETT:
You're huge! I'll never forget our first week hosting together. It was such a great experience. How we complimented each other during debriefing sessions and how we made decisions (usually determined through a quick game of rock-paper-scissors) was so easy. It was a great first week. The thing that i admire the most about you is your love for people. You hate drama and you are all for conflict resolution. Which is kind of interesting cause i would have thought that a person like you would just try and avoid conflict altogether. But that one night that first week was excellent. You were a stud. I think the fact that you cried kind of broke everyone's anger and frustration. It made us re-recognize how we were here to support one another not to stress each other out or to make one another cry. You are seriously one of the most loving people i know. You always tried to check up on me and i thank you for that.

And the captain of this squad, the all-American, the MVP, my name's JOSH LO, i'm from L.A.!

Bring it in! CSM on 3. 1, 2, 3, CSM! Welcome to New York where we don't play!

I'm gonna miss you guys. And you should already know this but, you can always stand under my umbrella.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Josh Lo. I miss you! I sat here reading your blog and almost started crying :-). You were such a blessing this summer and I am so glad you were on staff. You were always able to make me laugh and truely cared about your groups. I loved how you strived to make the week the best it could possibly be for each of your groups. The fact that you researched stats about the prayer tour to make it better, blew me away. I am so impressed by your dedication and perserverence for the groups and to do the very best at serving them and NYC. Thanks for a great summer and a great post. I think you may just win that blog of the week :-)

tcatron said...

Joshua! Forget about trying to make me cry, you did make me cry! And I don't know how much I've said this this summer but I'm not much of a crier in the first place. I am at home right now reading this from my own bedroom where I don't have four other girls living directly to the left and right of me, and I don't think I can explain enough how weird and different it feels to be home. I really don't think I could have experienced CSM with better group of people who all have hearts for God and a love for sharing it with others. Josh I will never forget that night on immersion when we met that homeless man on the street who made me cry embarrassingly too much in front of you guys. I was really feeling like I would not be able to do my job this summer if I was going to be in constant contact with people like him. The words you said after that incident and then later in debrief really helped me to give me strength to keep me going. I felt inspired from you and I want to thank you for that!