Wednesday, September 30, 2009

my reasons for coming to korea

One year ago i began applying for the Fulbright. As it is that time again, some of my friends have been asking me for pointers and i've been showing them my essays. Which, in turn, led me to revisit my essays and the reasons for why i wanted to come to korea. I've been here for two months now. I have been true to some of the goals i had, while i have given less attention to some of the others. And some of my original reasons for coming here are no longer important in my life.

Here's an excerpt from my application essay: "I value unfamiliar situations, for it is here that we get to both see things we had previously been unaware of and come to view familiar things in new ways. I want my manner of thinking and viewing life to be challenged. Nothing could be more satisfying than to be able to look back on my stay in Korea and say that I had indeed left a different and better person than when I had arrived."

I have definitely been in some unfamiliar situations. Some things that i thought would be a big part of my life are no longer present. While unforeseen elements have really captured my time and energy. I've never been so confused in my life. I've never felt so insecure as i navigate the streets, knowing that should anyone try and talk to me, i probably will have no idea what they are saying. I've also never been so comfortable with being uncomfortable. So willing to put myself in such potentially uncomfortable situations.

While my experience thus far hasn't necessarily all been positive, i believe that i am gaining new perspective and insight on life. And i hope that 10-12 months from now (whenever it is that i will leave), this will still be true.

The purpose of this post, then, is to pose this challenge to all of you: are you doing the things you always knew you wanted to? And are you being the kind of person you always wanted to be? If the answer to those questions are "no," then maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities and to begin pursuing the things and the life you desire.

No comments: