Thursday, September 17, 2009

prom korea

so, during one of my classes, the subject of prom somehow arose. in the beginning i was showing my students pictures from my life that were related to the topics of the day. when i mentioned prom and they had no idea what that was i thought it would be sweet for me to introduce it to them.

i showed them pictures from when i went to prom. i talked about prom proposals and limousines and prom pictures and food and dancing. i showed them some prom proposals off of youtube. and then told them they'd have to create prom proposals of their own!

here are some of the best and brightest from gyeongnam science high school...


mid-week, one of the teachers comes up to me and says: “I heard about your prom proposal lesson. I had class 2-1. I expected them to be asleep, but they were all awake. I asked them why. They said because they had a very fresh class. I asked who’s class it was. They said it was your class. Thank you. Because of you, my class was better.”

that's what i'm talking about! changing the school one lesson at a time!


i played "would you rather" and "never have i ever" with my students. the reasoning behind this was to get them to speak in only english. in every class thus far the students inevitably revert to korean. my goal is to have the class speaking in only english by the end of the semester. i don't want to have to punish them for speaking in korean though. and i decided to take baby steps towards that goal instead of forcing them into it all at once. i'm hoping that at least the last month of this semester will be completely in english and then that this would carry over to next semester, for the returning students at least.

-would you rather drink milk or soju?
i hate milk. i won't drink it. didn't really drink it growing up either, so why start now? but on principle i had to choose it.

-would you rather study english or math?
again, on principle i had to choose english. but in reality i love math. always have always will.

-never have i ever studied during lunchtime
one person put down a finger

-never have i ever bought clothes
everybody lost on this one - how is this even possible?

-never have i ever spoken korean in joshua's class
so this one was debatable. about 5 people didn't put down fingers. but i feel like EVERYONE has spoken in korean

on game point, i lost on, "never have i ever eaten [a certain type of meat before."
once it came down to just me and one student and he says to me, "never have i ever been to prom." it was pretty funny, i can't hate.

3 comments:

SS said...

amazing video! wow Josh! so cool :) everyone should see this.

dara said...

This is awesome.

Gimme more deets on how you set up to play "would you rather" and "never have I ever." 'Cause -big shocker! - I'm having similar issues with speaking lotsa Korean in class, and I think your idea is great!

melissa said...

this was so freaking amazing. I was laughing out loud on the video for sure!